When and how should I change my windshield wipers?
Replacing windshield wiper blades on my vehicle
Saskatchewan, including Regina, has one of the hardest climates on windshield wipers – snow, ice, and extreme cold in the winter; periods of dryness and extreme heat in the summer; and rain, slush, freezing rain and even wind anytime throughout the year. As a result, Saskatchewan is likely the premier testing area in the world for durability of windshield wipers!
How often do my windshield wipers need to be changed?
Most windshield wiper manufacturers suggest changing the wipers every 6 to 12 months, but it really depends on how hard of a toll the environmental factors (listed above) have taken on the blades.
How will I know if my windshield wipers need changing?
Here are some of the indicators that a change of windshield wipers is due:
- the blades are causing streaks when operating during precipitation
- there are cracks in the rubber of the blade or the metal of the arm
- the rubber parts of the blades are frayed
- the blades pull away from the window instead of being snug when they are in fast motion- squeaking or chattering can be heard when the blades are in motion
In most cases, you will know when the blades are due for a change!
How do I change my windshield wipers?
Changing wiper blades can be easy for some people. Here are a few tips.
- Measure your old blades so you buy the correct size. Note that the right and left hand blades will often be different lengths. Remember that you will be replacing the wiper “blade” not the wiper “arm” that extends from the windshield.
- In most cases, replacement is simply a matter of unhooking or unpinning the old blade from the wiper arm and attaching the new one – but be sure to follow the instructions on the package of blades that your purchase and in the owner’s manual of your vehicle.
- The web has a myriad of videos that are helpful as well – search for a how-to video for the make and model of your car and the type of wiper blade that you are installing.
Can Great Canadian Oil Change help me with my windshield wiper blades?
At Great Canadian Oil Change on Albert Street and on Quance Street in Regina we offer a large selection of wiper blades. We will find the perfect ones that we can install for you in minutes. You can get this done while you are in for another service such as an oil change, transmission or coolant (antifreeze) flush, or headlight replacement OR you can just come in to have your wiper blades changed! If you are not satisfied with how your wiper blades work after leaving, come back and we will ensure you leave with something that meets your satisfaction!
Car maintenance made easy! See our services here.
Happy driving from the Great Canadian Oil Change team!